Tuesday, January 26, 2010

PB&J Worthy Splurges

Ever come across a decorative accessory or piece of furniture and wonder if it's a smart buy? Is it worth a month of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for dinner just to afford it? It’s rarely an easy answer. Even as a professional I spend untold hours looking at decor for client’s homes. It can take a lot of research to determine if an item makes the right statement at a worthwhile price.

Here are few items that I label ‘statement pieces’ – and are definitely worth stretching your budget and having a few PB&J's for dinner.




Anyone who knows me can tell you I am obsessed with nature inspired FF&E (that’s furniture, fixtures, and equipment for the uninitiated). I absolutely love this table. Global Views did a fabulous job creating this sleek granite and ebony metal tree table. It was even showcased on Oprah - that's how you know it's a big deal! I am perpetually hunting for a place in my house to give me a reason to buy it.




The next item is hardly a splurge, but as I discussed in a past blog, I believe that IKEA does occasionally surprise me with their accessories. This Ebony Framed Mirror is a whopping 7' tall and 3' wide with a very thick ebony frame. Designed to lean against a wall, this is a great item to make your space look contemporary, stylish and most importantly, larger. For only $99, this is a Jim Cramer-level BUY.




I know what you're thinking: who would put lemons in a lamp?! This lamp actually offers endless possibilities to change the style of the base by filling the cylinder with anything from rocks, sand, glass, to, yes, even fruit! The modern clear glass lamp can even be used holding nothing at all - meaning it can work in any surrounding. Lamps Plus offers this lamp for just $99, making it another great BUY.




Recently, while looking at new manufacturers, I came upon this company and I think I caught myself blushing. The case goods and lighting by Shine by Sho can't be described as anything else but stunning. The detailing with nail heads are enough to make me want to get my hammer and "revamp" my coffee table. The white lacquer nail head accent tables are a perfect accessory to stand out in a room and make a statement.




Because of my newfound infatuation with Shine by Sho, I had to finish this post with another accessory of theirs. The color dandelion piece is a marvelous addition to an eclectic room. Not only are the geometric shapes on the base visually stimulating, but the bright yellow color and the tall drum shade capped off with a crystal finial just make me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment